From: "A. Gabriel W. Daleson" <ursa@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Two leads on the X lockups
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:17:23
The X freezes are still continuing, despite my having tried all
workable combinations of the ati, radeon, and fglrx drivers, both
6.7.0 and 6.8.0, tweaking the BIOS, and seeing what a kernel created with
genkernel does.

	I did, however, pore over the logs - which I expected wouldn't have
anything given the nature of the crash - and found two interesting bits.

	The following lines seems to reliably occur in /var/log/messages
before each of the crashes:
iid OAFIID:BrokenNoType:20000808 has a NULL type
invalid character '#' in iid

	This may not be the cause - while it occurs a few minutes before
each crash, I have one instance of it occuring with no crash, and there's
usually a delay, sometimes of several minutes, between the timestamp on
these lines and the timestamp of the next boot.

	I have, though, not seen any examples of a crash occuring without
this warning. Furthermore, I've found at least one forum post of a gentleman
with a similar problem, at

	Item 2: Another log, /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old, has the following:

(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)

	I don't have APM enabled in the kernel, nor does xorg-x11 of either
version seem to involve the apm USE flag.

	This gives two questions: what's that "invalid character" occuring
in, and how can I turn off the APM system in xorg-x11?

	Thanks for all the help.