From: Mitko Moshev <mo6eeeb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Problems with ALSA (or only ScummVM?)
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 20:47:18
1 Sören Weber wrote:
2
3 >Hello list,
4 >
5 >right in this moment I feel that I'm composing a message to a wrong
6 >list. I'm sorry but I did my best to find an apt list. I didn't want to
7 >post in the ones relating to the several potential problem-factors because:
8 >- (according to Murphy's laws) it would be the other thing which causes
9 >the problem and
10 >- I think the Gentoo-community is much better :-p
11 >
12 >Let's take a look on my problem. Today I found my old "The Dig"-Game and
13 >wanted to play that thing tonight. So I got ScummVM and tried to start it.
14 >But the sound in this and other games stutters. It's like "of course,
15 >dear" becomes "ofof coucourse dear". SCNR :)
16 >
17 >We can exclude the possibility of a bad cd or sth like this because I
18 >tried other games (with other media-data), too.
19 >Also I reinstalled ALSA now but without any effect.
20 >
21 >I've got a SiS 7018 (trident) chipset in my box and compiled the
22 >ALSA-support modular into the kernel. Before that I had the same
23 >problems with the compiled-in drivers.
24 >I'm not pretty sure but I think that I've got the same thing while using
25 >the modules outside the kernel.
26 >
27 >Can you give me any tips? I really don't know what to do anymore - I
28 >want to fly to space with good sound ;-)
29 >
30 >By the way: My XMMS crashes with a segfault when a second application
31 >tries to use ALSA. I'm not that experienced; is it "normal"?
34 >A big thank you for your help,
35 >Sören
39 Hmm...
40 1) are you using esd or arts? this may lock the device on older versions
41 of alsa, that do not support software mixing (as of 1.0.9)
42 2) try updating alsa to the latest version, it may help
43 3) try setting the SDL_AUDIODRIVER enviroment variable to alsa
44 4) update your sdl
45 5) and most importantly - can anything else use alsa? I mean alone, not
46 if you can have two xmmses running, just if you can output sound through
47 alsa?
48 --
49 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list