From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Re: Kernel_2.6/devfsd/SCSI/USB/Digital Camera problem
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:06:08
1 Lindsay Haisley posted <20041017184036.GH6508@×××.com>, excerpted below,
2 on Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:40:36 -0500:
3
4 > Thus spake Duncan on Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 02:33:09AM CDT
5 >>
6 >> One of the reference implementation examples uses scripting to look up
7 >> the info for a CD in a CDDB, and actually symlinks the artist and album
8 >> name as one of the available device names! Greg KH (one of the Gentoo
9 >> kernel devs, BTW as well as one of the up and coming mainline kernel
10 >> developers due to his UDEV work) said it was a "fun" script without a
11 >> lot of practical use, but that it /did/ illustrate the flexibility
12 >> available with udev!
13 >
14 > Wooo! Where can one find this implementation example script?
15
16 Try the OLS (Ottawa Linux Symposium) 2003 UDEV presentation paper by..
17 none other than our own.. Greg KH. I believe that's where I saw it.
18 (I discovered that paper in LWN.net coverage of OLS.)
19
20 For practical implementation examples a bit closer to home, check out the
21 SCSI and IDE UDEV configurations on any UDEV Gentoo system. They provide
22 some pretty strong and practical examples of several of the features the
23 paper talks about, including dynamic symlinking for multiple entries, and
24 calling an external program then using its output to provide device names,
25 in this case, to provide DEVFS compatibility, since that's what Gentoo had
26 standardized on. (Here, I ripped out that stuff for my IDE drives, and
27 only retained the traditional /dev/hdX entries. I had to change the
28 hdparm config a bit as it used the DEVFS entries and I used it, but that
29 wasn't a big deal either, since I already knew the UDEV basics from the
30 paper and following the Gentoo scripts wasn't difficult.)
34 "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
35 temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
36 Benjamin Franklin
41 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list