From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:20:40
begin  quote
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 13:22:13 -0700
Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 13:09, Spider wrote: > > device access to cdrom's and cdrw with udev default settings. > > especially on IDE where /dev/cdroms/* and /dev/cdrom are symlinks, > > the device is created as hd? , which in turn is given the access of > > the "disk" group rather than the "cdrom" or "cdrw" groups. > > > > This effecitvely ruins cdburning and ripping for any and all users > > != root or != disk access. > > > > And really. I wouldn't give disk access to -any- user. > > What's the bug # for this?
None, as its not reproducible at -all- times, but rather an issue that crops up when you have multiple users trying to use X on the system. on a clean reboot (after I've updated udev as well;) this is all correct. However, once you run fex. "udevstart" to reinitialize the new udev rules, i becomes reset to : brw-rw---- 1 root disk 22, 0 Oct 16 2003 /dev/hdc ( )
> > USB sticks. just doesn't work by default , configuration and magic > > is required. > > (hald + fstab-sync solves this) > > Do we have how to set this up documented anywhere? Probably could fit > somewhere in the Desktop Documentation section.
Well, I have some snippets on my page, thats about it.
> > > Multi user environment. Nope, doesn't work out of the box. pam > > does> nasty magic on the audio devices fex. > > Do you know which bugs are opened on this?
Doubt any are since its design of the system more than anything else :/ (also, I've used modified permission tables for my systems for a long time due to this, so I cannot compare to our original designs) The idea is that pam changes ownership of sound devices when you log in, so its a "first in gets it" system, Where ofc. this should perhaps be alleviated to instead change it to be owned by the group at all times, allowing multiple logins to actually use the sound, this might also introduce other bugs (oss is notoriously bad about locking fex. esound and arts only adds to this)
> > > Language settings, including a way of personalizing it per-user.
> Is there anything we can do about this?
Documenting it, basically. Where/what should we change for a local user to set their language for the environment? This is not the system language, but the various users. And I really don't know, I've got my system language set to en_GB.UTF-8, but some of my guests want it in norwegian or german.. I never managed to get that to work reliably though :/ Also, what are suggested practices for shared media disks? Many people want something like /media/music (/media/video) partitions for the shared collection of music/media files between computer users. How should we setup permissions and recommendations for such? (and /media in this case refers to the LSB compatible mountpoints rather than the fact that its media files ;) This is mostly a documentation issue though. //Spider -- begin .signature Tortured users / Laughing in pain See Microsoft KB Article Q265230 for more information. end

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>