From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:03:09
1 On Tuesday 05 October 2004 8:44 pm, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > One of my goals as manager of the desktop project is to get things to
3 > "just work." Once they're emerged, just run them and things are good to
4 > go.
5
6 That's the role I have taken for Utopios.
9 > Since I can't try everything, I need some feedback from you guys. What
10 > already does a great job at this?
11
12 Scanners work out of the box when they work at all (if it's supported and the
13 stuff compiles).
14
15 > What stands out in your minds as being
16 > forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort?
17
18 Printers *used* to be almost the same as scanners (once installed).
19 Unfortunately, somewhat recently (over the past year), the default is to
20 *not* install drivers for most printers. I believe people need to manually
21 emerge gimp-print or something to get them.
24 > On the other side, what is really hard to configure?
25
26 Default KDE settings are annoying quite often, but that really is upstream's
27 fault. Utopios will be changing upstream defaults, but IIRC, Gentoo's policy
28 is not to.
29
30 > Where can we
31 > improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
32 >
33 > Thanks for your time.
34 >
35 > Donnie
36 Random other stuff I forget, I'm sure, but that's it for now.
37 --
38 Luke-Jr
39 Developer, Utopios
40 http://utopios.org/