From: Leonid Podolny <leonidp.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] startx / X -config /root/xorg.conf.new crash on T410 intel Arrandale (custom kernel)
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 04:35:03
1 Sounds like a kernel crash. Do you see anything in /var/log/messages or
2 /var/log/kernel?
3
4 On 08/04/2010 02:27 PM, Levon Ghazaryan wrote:
5 > Hi all,
6 >
7 > on 2.6.34-r1, ThinkPad T410 with Intel Arrandale with a custom kernel
8 > the laptop freezes on startx or X -retro -config /root/xorg.conf.new (with
9 > a fresh created xorg.conf.new with Xorg -config).
10 >
11 > as this happens I'm not able to switch the tty, the laptop doesn't respond
12 > to ping and caps lock is constantly blinking.
13 >
14 > there is no error in /var/log/Xorg.0.log and Xorg -config exits without
15 > complaining about anything.
16 >
17 > I followed the guide at:
18 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml#using_startx
19 >
20 > so I completed all steps mentioned there.
21 >
22 > at this point I have no idea how to debug, get information what is
23 > going an, or what causes the problem - there are no error messages
24 > and no log left. the only thing I see is a black screen, a blinking cursor
25 > at the top left corner for a moment and a completely black screen after wards
26 > and laptop the responds to nothing as a result. the only way that i could
27 > get out of this was to hard-reboot using the power button.
28 >
29 > please post here if you have any ideas what this could be or
30 > how can it be figured out what causes the crash.
31 >
32 > at some point i tried:
33 > emerge -e xorg-server
34 >
35 > but this changed nothing and startx crashes again in the same way.
36 >
37 > thanks in advance,
38 > ~levon
44 Leonid Podolny