From: Christian Parpart <trapni@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kmail, gpg, can't display encrypted mail (bad passphrase)
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:19:06
1 > On Monday 19 September 2005 04:51, Christian Parpart wrote:
2 >> Hi,
3 >>
4 >> well, I never played with encrypted messages, however, somehow,
5 >> I required to receive one some recently but failed in decrypting
6 >> with message "bad passphrase" - and indeed, kmail didn't ask me
7 >> for one.
8 >>
9 >> Though, I installed gpg-agent, but kmail hints me (in some self tests
10 >> afterwards), that gpg-agent doesn't seem to run (which is not true
11 >> anyway)...
12 >>
13 >> Has anyone who has this working a good hint for me here?
14 >>
15 >> I'm out of ideas...
16 >
17 > gpg-agent should not only be running. The problem is that kmail must be
18 > able to find it. For this gpg-agent outputs some bash code that would set
19 > an environment variable. If kmail does not see this variable, it cannot
20 > find gpg-agent (indeed, broken behaviour). Assuming you use gdm or kdm to
21 > start your session you would need to add this code to your ~/.xprofile
22 > 'eval "`gpg-agent --daemon 2`"; export GPG_AGENT_INFO'
23 > without the single quotes. You might want to add some code to prevent
24 > multiple gpg-agent instances running, but the above is sufficient.
25
26 (i'm currently at work, though can't test)
27
28 I'm running no DM, I rather use startx and have keychain set up for
29 ssh-agent use, though, just extended the cmd line to --agents ssh,gpg (was
30 --agents ssh) within my .bash_profile.
31
32 The question is: why does kmail not ask me for a passphrase when no
33 gpg-agent is available anyway?
34
35 Regards,
36 Christian Parpart.