From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome disk-mounter applet
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 01:52:21
1 I've been through this a couple of times and am beginning to think that
2 the Gnome Disk Mounter applet is just plain confused.
3
4 Apparently the applet creates icons with names based on entries
5 in /etc/fstab, but when a device is mounted, as per instructions
6 in /etc/fstab, it creates an icon based on the Vendor and Model ATTRS in
7 the sysfs tree and ignores the entry in /etc/fstab. But if the fstab
8 entry is removed, the applet says "Cannot mount volume" and quits on the
9 mount.
10
11 So I end up having 2 icons on my "Computer" for every USB device I want
12 to mount - one on which nothing gets mounted, and one which gets
13 dynamically created using a name I don't want, and which holds the mount
14 as spec'd in /etc/fstab.
15
16 I've tried tinkering with udev ATTR{key} assignment but this is largely
17 undocumented and I can't make it work, and can't find any other way deal
18 with this issue. Is there some documentation on this facility and on
19 the applet somewhere, or is it just mainly broken, as I suspect?
22 Lindsay Haisley | "The voice of dissent | PGP public key
23 FMP Computer Services | was arrested before the | available at
24 512-259-1190 | president cleared his | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
25 http://www.fmp.com | throat to speak |
26 | of freedom" |
27 | (Chris Chandler) |