From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Xorg-Toshiba Laptop
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 18:29:15
1 On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 10:45, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > What are the advantages of X.org over XFree?
3
4 All the development that's happened since XFree86 4.3.0 was released
5 around February 2003.
6
7 > If I have XFree successfully installed and running, are there any advantages
8 > to switching?
9
10 See above.
11
12 > Do 3rd party vendors, notably VMWare which I think supplies an optimized
13 > XFree driver, support X.org?
14
15 A VMWare employee has commit rights to X.Org CVS. To my knowledge, this
16 was never the case with XFree86.
17
18 Also, it's branched off of XFree86 pre-4.4, so it has everything that
19 had and more, minus the license problems and lack of committers.
20 --
21 Donnie Berkholz
22 Gentoo Linux
26 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list