From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: SuperKaramba
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 10:06:42
1 ~`IrRuPtIoN`~ <lapator@×××××.com> posted 447BB94E.9030304@×××××.com,
2 excerpted below, on Tue, 30 May 2006 03:17:34 +0000:
3
4 > Is it possible to make superkaramba real trasperent??
5 > ex: to see back of a theme , a desktop icons and be able to click it??
6 > cause i have a lot of desktop icons and i can't use 2 or 3 superkaramba
7 > themes.
8
9 I've not used superkaramba, but given that it's possible with any window
10 if you are using xorg's composite (extremely unstable and experimental in
11 xorg 6.8, better in 6.9 and modular xorg 7.0 but still very resource
12 hogging, MUCH MUCH better in 7.1 if you opt to use EXA in place of the
13 older XAA, and have a window manager like kwin that handles composite --
14 virtually no drag on CPU performance at all with xorg 7.1), it will
15 certainly be possible with superkaramba as well.
16
17 Take a look at the screenshots I posted at
18 http://members.cox.net/pu61ic.1inux.dunc4n/
19 if you wish to get an idea of what it looks like here, on a dual 1600x1200
20 monitor setup w/ a Radeon 92xx series dual monitor out card running the
21 native/libre xorg ati/radeon driver.
22
23 That was KDE 3.5.1 and xorg 7.0. See up in the top left corner how it's
24 chewing 100% cycles on one CPU of the dual Opteron I run? 7.1 doesn't do
25 that any more. It runs ~10% utilization on one CPU instead of 100%, with
26 more stuff turned on. Yeah, I'm running the hard masked xorg 7.1
27 modular ebuilds, compiled with the then still hard masked gcc-4.1.0. (4.1.1
28 is now ~arch.)
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
36 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list