From: Andrew Peter <andrewpeter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Digest of gentoo-desktop@lists.gentoo.org issue 306 (2354-2357)
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 01:10:16
1 Unsubscribe
2 On Feb 23, 2015 5:02 PM, <gentoo-desktop+help@l.g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Topics (messages 2354 through 2357):
5 >
6 > [gentoo-desktop] ffmpeg versions in portage
7 > 2354 - Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
8 >
9 > [gentoo-desktop] Re: ffmpeg versions in portage
10 > 2355 - Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
11 >
12 > [gentoo-desktop] Re: ffmpeg versions in portage
13 > 2356 - Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
14 >
15 > [gentoo-desktop] Re: ffmpeg versions in portage
16 > 2357 - Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
20 > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
21 > From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
22 > To: Gentoo Desktop Listserv <gentoo-desktop@l.g.o>
23 > Cc:
24 > Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2015 22:19:37 -0600 (CST)
25 > Subject: [gentoo-desktop] ffmpeg versions in portage
26 > With all the arguing I see in the forums lately about libav versus ffmpeg,
27 > I thought I'd ask an ffmpeg question of a different nature:
28 >
29 > Upstream, the ffmpeg people are releasing 2.5 as "stable." Some people
30 > (who I'm not going to argue with, since I don't really have a position on
31 > it myself) say the ffmpeg developers are reckless. However, I notice that
32 > most other distros are at least shipping 2.2 (perhaps with lots of distro
33 > patches to fix problems?).
34 >
35 > Gentoo's stable ffmpeg is currently 1.2.6, a fully maintained (i.e., not
36 > defunct or deprecated) branch with ffmpeg upstream, apparently maintained
37 > for really conservative users.
38 >
39 > All of this has me wondering...should I unmask? Both 2.2 and 2.5 are
40 > available in Portage as ~amd64 ebuilds. Is anyone here doing this? Does it
41 > unleash the hounds of hell (or the UNIX equivalent, lots of unpleasant
42 > segfaults and codec problems)? I'm mostly wanting better Bluray/WMV3/VC-1
43 > support, but I don't know how that stands between the various 1.2/2.2/2.5
44 > branches.
45 >
46 > From talking to people who don't run Gentoo, I've found that it has a
47 > reputation for being bleeding-edge, but at times, I've found to the
48 > contraty that it can actually sometimes be overcautious, making it hard to
49 > tell if you're missing out on things other distros are enjoying because
50 > your upgrades are masked. Sometimes, package versions will stay masked for
51 > months or years just because nobody got around to marking them stable for
52 > amd64 and not because of any actual bugs.
53 >
54 > Anybody running ffmpeg 2.x without issues? If so, which one...2.2 or 2.5?
55 >
56 > --
57 > + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
58 > + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
59 > + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
60 > + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
61 > + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky
64 > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
65 > From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
66 > To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
67 > Cc:
68 > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 06:47:23 +0000 (UTC)
69 > Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: ffmpeg versions in portage
70 > Brent Busby posted on Wed, 18 Feb 2015 22:19:37 -0600 as excerpted:
71 >
72 > > With all the arguing I see in the forums lately about libav versus
73 > > ffmpeg, I thought I'd ask an ffmpeg question of a different nature:
74 > >
75 > > Upstream, the ffmpeg people are releasing 2.5 as "stable." Some people
76 > > (who I'm not going to argue with, since I don't really have a position
77 > > on it myself) say the ffmpeg developers are reckless. However, I notice
78 > > that most other distros are at least shipping 2.2 (perhaps with lots of
79 > > distro patches to fix problems?).
80 > >
81 > > Gentoo's stable ffmpeg is currently 1.2.6, a fully maintained (i.e., not
82 > > defunct or deprecated) branch with ffmpeg upstream, apparently
83 > > maintained for really conservative users.
84 > >
85 > > All of this has me wondering...should I unmask? Both 2.2 and 2.5 are
86 > > available in Portage as ~amd64 ebuilds. Is anyone here doing this? Does
87 > > it unleash the hounds of hell (or the UNIX equivalent, lots of
88 > > unpleasant segfaults and codec problems)? I'm mostly wanting better
89 > > Bluray/WMV3/VC-1 support, but I don't know how that stands between the
90 > > various 1.2/2.2/2.5 branches.
91 > >
92 > > From talking to people who don't run Gentoo, I've found that it has a
93 > > reputation for being bleeding-edge, but at times, I've found to the
94 > > contraty that it can actually sometimes be overcautious, making it hard
95 > > to tell if you're missing out on things other distros are enjoying
96 > > because your upgrades are masked. Sometimes, package versions will stay
97 > > masked for months or years just because nobody got around to marking
98 > > them stable for amd64 and not because of any actual bugs.
99 > >
100 > > Anybody running ffmpeg 2.x without issues? If so, which one...2.2 or
101 > > 2.5?
102 >
103 > [Adding this note after I wrote the below. I think it ended up reading
104 > harsher than I intended. I know people choose stable for a reason and I
105 > really do respect that. Those people simply aren't me, nor that reason
106 > mine... and that certainly comes out in the below. But no personal, or
107 > even whole-group, offense intended. It's just not me. But it's your
108 > machine, not mine, and gentoo wouldn't be gentoo if it didn't respect
109 > your ultimate control of your machine, neither would I be me in the same
110 > case. So, umm... Read the below with that in mind. =:^) ]
111 >
112 > I think what you actually want to know (which isn't what you asked), is
113 > if anyone running _sta(b)le_ amd64, is running ffmpeg 2.x without issues.
114 >
115 > Because people running ~amd64, including me, if they're current (I am),
116 > are running ffmpeg-2.5.4.
117 >
118 > And in general, I've not seen issues.
119 >
120 > However, that's because the various other apps also in ~amd64 have in
121 > general already been updated to work with the newer ffmpeg.
122 >
123 > Which is the problem with stale^h^hble amd64, and sta(b)le gentoo in
124 > general. The newer ffmpeg can't be unmasked to sta(b)le until pretty
125 > much everything else in sta(b)le has been updated to work with it as well.
126 >
127 > And in fact, whenever there's something that has gotten as far behind on
128 > stable as ffmpeg has, in particular, for stuff like gcc, it's very likely
129 > the same general problem. On gentoo, for packages like gcc in
130 > particular, even ~amd64 (and ~arch in general) is generally quite behind,
131 > because before it's unmasked to ~arch, they want to ensure that all other
132 > packages (at the same ~arch) level have been patched to build with it.
133 > Which means it takes "forever" to unmask even to ~arch, because of all
134 > those other packages that have to be either updated first, or patched to
135 > build with the new gcc. Then when all that is done and it hits ~arch,
136 > the process starts over for sta(b)le; all those patched packages have to
137 > be sta(b)le keyworded before gcc itself can be sta(b)le keyworded.
138 >
139 > And yes, sometimes that does mean "stable" is "stale", no two ways about
140 > it. But it's a choice you make...
141 >
142 > But at least gentoo does make it real easy to package.keyword specific
143 > packages if you like, so you can be sta(b)le on most things while
144 > choosing to try arch or even masked versions if you dare.
145 >
146 > If you like you can do an equery depends ffmpeg, and see which packages
147 > that you actually have installed depend on it. You can then research
148 > each one to see if the version you currently have merged can function
149 > with the newer ffmpeg, and if not, you can of course package.keyword it
150 > ~arch at the same time.
151 >
152 > With a bit of luck all the packages you have installed are already
153 > updated and it'll "just work" (perhaps with a rebuild of some of them)
154 > for you. If you're not that lucky, but still somewhat lucky, they've at
155 > least been updated with blockers or version ranges, so if you go to
156 > install the newer ffmpeg, portage will tell you which packages you have
157 > to keyword-unmask in ordered to proceed.
158 >
159 > Of course you also risk that they've not been updated yet, and simply
160 > quit working with no explanation, until you figure it out and unmask them
161 > so you get the newer version of them too.
162 >
163 > But at least with an equery depends ffmpeg, you can see how many packages
164 > you are risking, and decide whether it's worth the hassle from there, or
165 > if it's too much to risk/hassle and you prefer to wait for the full
166 > stable update after all.
167 >
168 > Of course another alternative is to "Dear Interwebs" the solution. You
169 > can post your equery results here and see if there's enough other people
170 > on sta(b)le but running a newer/package.keyworded ffmpeg with those
171 > packages as well, to compare notes. =:^)
172 >
173 > --
174 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
175 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
176 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
180 > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
181 > From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
182 > To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
183 > Cc:
184 > Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 01:38:12 -0600 (CST)
185 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: ffmpeg versions in portage