From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:46:27
On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 12:15 -0700, Edward Martinez wrote:
> I think it would be faster with less headaches by reinstalling > Gentoo from the latest stage3 and portage:-)
Possibly, but that's unlikely to make this problem go away since it appears to come from a device naming conflict. This is inherent in the hardware setup. I've inquired elsewhere regarding moving this matter to some other list where the participants are more versed in Linux kernel and system issues. This list seems to have been a poor choice for this thread, since kernel issues aren't the specialty of the participants, although several people have been helpful. The problem should be soluble without reloading the OS. I've made some progress. If I can solve the dev name conflict issue and get my RAID arrays reconstituted, then I can deal with the video card issues and I'm home free :-) I'm sure the naming conflict issue has come up before, for other people, and someone, somewhere has a solution for it. Ultimately the path forward will be to build a new desktop box, which probably won't be running Gentoo. It'll have a much more sane disk configuration, and won't be subject to other legacy hardware issues (which I haven't discussed here) than this one is. I'd like to make one more push with this box, though, to get the immediate problem resolved. -- Lindsay Haisley | "The difference between a duck is because FMP Computer Services | one leg is both the same" 512-259-1190 | - Anonymous |

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress Edward Martinez <edwardlotus@×××××.com>