From: "Canek Peláez" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome disk-mounter applet
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2007 18:18:22
1 On 4/9/07, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> wrote:
2 > Yes, HAL and udev handle the back end, but the disk-mounter and and the
3 > Gnome "Computer" window handle the UI, and the problem is with the UI.
4 > The information presented is pretty much the same, and I probably should
5 > have left the applet out of this. The "Computer" window presents an
6 > icon for every appropriate entry in /etc/fstab. An entry in /etc/fstab
7 > allows automounting, but the name of the mount point isn't where the
8 > Gnome UI shows the drive to be mounted. Case in point:
9
10 The think is (AFAIK), that you need not to touch fstab and let
11 udev/HAL/gnome-volume-manager to handle everything automagically. I
12 know a lot of people doesn't like the idea of automounting (myself, a
13 veteran Linux user, rejected the idea initially); but it really "just
14 works". When you insert a USB drive/CD-ROM,
15 udev/HAL/gnome-volume-manager would just mount all the mountable
16 partition/drives, and you just unmount them manually before remove
17 them.
18
19 Are you running gnome-volume-manager?
20 --
21 Canek Peláez Valdés
22 Facultad de Ciencias, UNAM
23 --