From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Kde 3 Future/Status
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:04:01
1 Ben de Groot posted on Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:38:32 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > Duncan wrote:
4 >> Could you point me to anything definitive saying 3.5 is no longer
5 >> supported, an official page on the KDE site, something on one of their
6 >> lists, a blog posting, an email that can be made public, anything?
7 >
8 > Nothing definite that I am aware of.
9 >
10 >> So from a user perspective, it seems like they're really trying to have
11 >> it both ways, claiming continued support when it simply isn't
12 >> happening,
13 >
14 > With this you basically answered your own question. KDE3 has been
15 > dropped upstream, maybe not officially, but "de facto". Nobody is
16 > working on it, nobody is even interested.
17 >
18 > If you want a KDE version that is maintained, you should try 4.3.
19 > Upstream isn't interested in or working on anything older than that.
20
21 Thanks. Nice to see /someone/ not afraid to call it what it is.
22
23 It was way difficult, ~80 hours of hard work as I said, but I'm on 4.x
24 (with x=3.0 ATM) now. Paraphrasing what Winston Churchill said of
25 democracy (and leaving aside that whole debate as off topic), KDE may
26 indeed be the worst desktop environment out there, except all the other
27 desktop environments I've tried from time to time.
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman