From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox problem
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 19:46:45
1 150607 Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 Jun 2015 18:57:58 Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> Yesterday, I updated to the now stable Fluxbox 1.3.7-r1 ;
4 >> there have been no changes in my config files.
5 > Same here.
6 >> Normally, I have the toolbar (the panel at the bottom of the screen)
7 >> hidden & make it visible by dropping the mouse down there ;
8 >> I also have Fbpager running to its left, similarly hidden & revealed.
9 > My toolbar is set to be visible and I have no Fbpager.
10
11 So your experience is not directly relevant.
12
13 >> Since the update, the pager & toolbar remain hidden,
14 >> even when I move the mouse down there, but when the mouse is over the
15 >> pager, the toolbar appears in a flickering form. It becomes a solid
16 >> image when I move the mouse to the right & remains till I move the mouse
17 >> away. However, if the pager is not running, the toolbar remains hidden
18 >> always.
19 > I am guessing that the problem is with Fbpager.
20 > Do you still have the problem if you remove Fbpager?
21
22 Please read what I wrote (smile) !
23 "However, if the pager is not running, the toolbar remains hidden always" :
24 that is not the expected behaviour, ie what I get with 1.3.6-r1 ,
25 when moving the mouse over the toolbar area makes it appear.
26
27 > Something I noticed is that the toolbar will not show if hidden,
28 > until I move the cursor 1-2 inches or more from its right edge.
29 > I have a clock on the right hand side and need to come left well beyond it
30 > and into the application tabs area for the toolbar to show up.
31
32 That shouldn't be happening : it doesn't happen for me with 1.3.6-r1 .
33
34 > In any other position the cursor brings the toolbar up as expected.
35 > Now, if your Fbpager is where my clock happens to be
36 > -- the right hand edge of the toolbar --
37 > then we have come across the same bug.
38
39 It's to the left (please read what I wrote above)
40 & you are experiencing part of what's gone wrong with 1.3.7 ,
41 but not all of it :
42
43 > However, there is no flickering here :
44 > the toolbar either shows up or does not. So the flickering
45 > could be related to the canvas of the Fbpager being refreshed.
46
47 It's caused somehow by the presence of the pager.
48
49 >> I emerged 1.3.7 , which showed the same bug.
50 >> However, having restored 1.3.6-r1 , which I used before yesterday,
51 >> the bug has disappeared & the pager + the toolbar work as they should.
52 >> The configuration has remained the same thro'out these tests.
53 >> Before I file a bug, has anyone else seen this ? Any advice ?
54 >> Are there any other Fluxbox users on the list ?
55 > PS I only use Fluxbox as a fall back when Enlightenment does not work.
56 > Perhaps you should give e19 a spin, now that it is in the main tree.
57 > Configure your favourite apps to show up when you right click on the desktop
58 > and you should be pretty much at home with it.
59
60 I've been a contented user of Fluxbox for some years,
61 so I hope I don't have to drop it.
62
63 It looks like a bug report is needed. The Fluxbox WWW site warns
64 that 1.3.7 was released after 2 yr break & may need lots of testing.
68 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
69 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
70 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca