From: Daniel Gryniewicz <dang@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] evolution gnome notification applet / systray integration
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 20:01:05
1 On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 20:48 +0200, Bennet Gedan wrote:
2 > Hello there,
3 >
4 > though this is not a gnome mailing list, i'd like to ask if anyone
5 > knows if there is a way to integrate evolution into the gnome system
6 > tray and get notifications about new mails, apointments, tasks and so on
7 > even if the evolution window is closed. (Like it's done with gaim for
8 > example.) I did search on google without any helpful results.
9 > I would be grateful for any hints.
10 >
11 > Thanks in advance,
12 >
13 > Bennet
14
15 Well, if evo isn't running, no. e-d-s stores all that stuff, and does
16 all the real work, but if evo's not running, you don't actually get new
17 mail, and I don't think you get appointment notifications either.
18 However, if evo is running, but just minimized, then you'll definitely
19 get appointment notifications. They pop up on the screen via
20 evolution-alarm-notify. For new mail, evo emits a dbus message whenever
21 new mail arrives (if you built with the dbus use flag). The
22 mail-notification package seems to have a systray applet for this. I'll
23 have to give it a try. Appointments and tasks are available via the
24 calendar applet, so you can see them even when evo isn't on-screen.
25 There's an applet to let you browse contacts (but it's not in portage
26 yet, as it's very alpha).
27
28 I'm not aware of any way to get evo to minimize to the tray, the way
29 gaim does.
30
31 In general, work still needs to be done to make it seamless, but all the
32 pieces seem to be in place.
33
34 Daniel