From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: kde-4.6 stabilization (was: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: more kde-sunset upgrade notes)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 16:44:45
Hi Duncan,

> According to a recent post on the dev list, the gentoo/kde project had > intended to try to stabilize kde 4.6.2, thus eliminating the hal > dependency for stable kde4, clearing the way for its removal from portage.
... and that's still the plan. Ever heard of the famous "30days"? :)
> Meanwhile, 4.6.2 has actually been released. Of course this is now beyond > that post, so it's my evaluation from here. If 4.6.1 was a bit of a > regression, as from that post it evidently was, for me it was fine. NOT > SO 4.6.2! It has a couple nasty regressions that affect me personally, > with others affecting other folks, some of which are posting to the kde > user lists I follow -- WAY more than they did for the 4.6.1 upgrade. > Based both on posts to the kde lists and my own experience, 4.6.2 is > anything BUT a stable candidate!
There were some initial problems with 4.6.2 but slowly it is shaping up now. Please file bugs (if there are not already) for your "nasty regressions"... The list of known issues [*] that is linked from my blog post also contains stuff that alone would not prevent stabilization (only regressions compared to 4.4 are even considered as stable blockers). However, you are correct with one thing. Upstream is making a big mess, and I'm already looking forward to curious new bug reports for 4.6.3... As for kde-3, I fear it is going to turn into a maintenance and security nightmare... Cheers, Andreas [*] &query_format=advanced&type0-0-0=anywords&value0-0-0=354033&list_id=87497 -- Andreas K. Huettel Gentoo Linux developer dilfridge@g.o