From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Interest inquery: kde4-nosemantic overlay
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 08:48:56
1 Johannes Huber posted on Sat, 06 Jul 2013 19:02:55 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > For the record you offer nothing for users who want to use kdepim and
4 > thats where the big story ends for us.
5
6 Well, obviously if they want to use kdepim, they need to have the
7 dependencies (now) needed for it... which basically means semantic-
8 desktop. That's a given. But for those who steer well clear of kdepim
9 in part because of its heavy deps... it'd be nice to still have the
10 choice to /avoid/ those deps... without having to hack and patch ebuilds
11 to do it.
12
13 Just the usual options gentooers are used to having, both in general and
14 specifically with kde4, is all.
15
16 But I didn't go into this expecting to change gentoo/kde policy. I
17 thought I'd ask, just in case, but I didn't expect it to change. Given
18 that the only user response so far is (effectively) that I'm making a
19 mountain out of a molehill... Tho I'm not sure how many people in the
20 potential audience actually read this list. If I were to start a thread
21 on the forums and if I had added a comment to the blog-post announcing
22 the gentoo/kde policy change asking if there's interest there, since
23 there /were/ a couple comments expressing disappointment... But I'll
24 probably just continue doing the patches myself, until 5/frameworks gets
25 in good enough shape to migrate to it (assuming that's not too distant),
26 at which point, hopefully, upstream will be modular enough that there
27 won't be an issue any longer. Else, if that turns out to be too far out
28 and I can't maintain the patches, I'll simply find another desktop. As I
29 said, unlike with the early kde4 thing, that's actually a practical
30 option, now.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman