From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 07:40:17
1 Thus spake Gábor Farkas on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 02:23:59AM CDT
2 > On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 13:44 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > > One of my goals as manager of the desktop project is to get things to
4 > > "just work." Once they're emerged, just run them and things are good to
5 > > go.
6 > >
7 > > Since I can't try everything, I need some feedback from you guys. What
8 > > already does a great job at this? What stands out in your minds as being
9 > > forgettable because of the lack of set-up effort?
10 > >
11 > > On the other side, what is really hard to configure? Where can we
12 > > improve how we set things up when programs are emerged?
13 >
14 > set up a printer in gnome.
15 >
16 > i must admit, maybe i just don't know how to do it.
17 > i usually emerge kdebase, and use kcontrol (kde control center)
18 > to add a cups printer.
19 >
20 > so, if there's a normal way to add a printer in gnome, tell me.
21
22 Printers are an Issue in Linux, and it's not just Gentoo. Eric Raymond sent
23 a flame letter to the CUPS people a while back detailing his horror story of
24 setting up a CUPS printer. His story was chillingly similar to my own
25 experience. It was a nightmare! Maybe the Gentoo devs could pick up the
26 ball and make CUPS a little easier to use.
29 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
30 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
31 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
32 http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |
35 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list