From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 05:21:15
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 12:20, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Wednesday 06 October 2004 3:43 pm, marcos ferreyra wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Examples of things that DON'T WORK out-of-the-box are
7 >>>* wireless (in my experience, very hard to set up)
8 >>
9 >>(Never tried w/ Gentoo.)
12 > I don't get this one. I guess I've just been lucky and have only bought
13 > good wireless cards, but for me it only takes editing a couple lines in
14 > /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts and restarting pcmcia.
15 >
16 > I also have been working on making net-setup on the LiveCD
17 > wireless-capable, so expect to see that for the 2004.3 release. Also,
18 > has anyone written up good documentation for setting up wireless for the
19 > Handbook? That would probably be a good idea of something to do.
20
21 That's if you have a PCMCIA card. Here's what I had to do for my
22 built-in laptop mPCI card to work:
23
24 1. Install Driverloader (not Gentoo's fault)
25 2. Set to autoload module at start
26 3. Add a dirty hack to /etc/init.d/net.eth1 that calls iwconfig and sets
27 parameters (ssid, WEP, etc.)
28
29 Of course, this only works for a single location. If I want to travel,
30 it means booting, waiting for everything to time out, editing the
31 net.eth1 script, and rebooting, or running iwconfig manually and
32 restarting all the failed services.
33
34 I hear though that a new wireless config system has made its way into
35 the new baselayout, so this may not be an issue later.
39 Joel Konkle-Parker
40 Webmaster [Ballsome.com]
41
42 E-mail [jjk3@×××××××.edu]