From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Trinity (Was: phonon)
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 06:04:50
E. Liddell posted on Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:46:18 -0500 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 23:39:00 +0100 Dominique Michel > <dominique.michel@××××××.ch> wrote: > >> No. kaffeine for kde3 work fine here with my setup. What I want is to >> find another good solution for watching and recording TV for the time >> when this version of kaffeine will not work any more. > > The KDE 3.5 version of Kaffeine is one of the assorted auxiliary > programs adopted by the Trinity Project, so there's still an upstream > trying to maintain it and it will hopefully remain workable for some > time to come.
Regarding trinity, what are the chances of having it appear in distros, etc, at least after they finish porting to qt4 (or by then, possibly qt5)? I don't expect it to ever make the big-2 into the big-3, really, but having it appear in the second tier along side xfce and lxde, and whatever they're calling the parallel effort to continue gnome2, could be quite useful. Except that I suppose kde3/trinity is still far bigger in terms of number of apps/packages/size than most of the second tier. But has anyone actually looked to see by how much? Are we talking 10X, 3X. 1.5X, or 1.1X? If it's 1.1X than I shouldn't think it'd be a huge problem. 1.5X probably not either. 3X might be, but a stripped down (to say 1.5X) version might ship, with perhaps an alternate, possibly community maintained, repo/overlay/ppa/whatever for those who want the full deal. 10X... that's not realistic as a second tier. It'd have to be dedicated distro, and perhaps get popular enough there to go first tier. But I really have no idea. Does anyone? Obviously in current context, "distros" refers to one particular distro, gentoo, but I don't expect it to try it by itself. What do the trinity folks base their own work on, distro-wise? Are there any dedicated trinity distros in the wings? Because, I really can't see trinity continuing "forever", unless it gets some community support and eventually some new community blood. And that's not going to happen, unless it's out there on the distros for people to be exposed to. I have a bit of a personal interest, even tho I'm on kde4 for both my main machine and netbook atm, not only out of nostalgia as a former kde3 user, but because eventually, I can see myself deciding that my netbook really doesn't run kde5 or whatever well enough to be worth the hassle, and kde3 could very well be quite a reasonable fit, at that point. Plus, I could lifestyle change at some point, and given that I've been with kde since the kde2 era, if I downscale from whatever the current kde desktop is at the time, I expect I'd be rather more comfortable with something approaching a modern kde3, than with any of the other second-tier desktops. Mainly, I just like to keep my options open, and assuming trinity does get the qt4/qt5/whatever port done at some point, that really does seem to me to be potentially the most viable "intermediate weight" option I'll have, given my own history and preferences. So naturally, I want to see it continue and mature as a viable option, and the only way I really see that happening, is if it ultimately finishes the qt4/qt5/whatever port and gets reintroduced on the major distros as a second tier option, so I really want /that/ to happen, and the above questions are because I'm wondering just how close to reality that vision is. -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master -- and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman