From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] VMware Workstation 6.0?
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 18:07:35
1 On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 11:25 +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 21:15:07 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
3 >
4 > > I am considering buying a Linux host license of VMware Workstation 6.0
5 > > when it is released. However, VMware explicitly does not support Gentoo
6 > > hosts. I noticed that 5.5 is in Portage:
7 >
8 > Supported in this context mean they will help you if you have problems
9 > related to your host OS. I've run VMware Workstation from 3.0 to 6.0beta
10 > on Gentoo. 6.0 is the first version to provide a 64 bit version and runs
11 > better on my amd64 system than previous versions.
12 >
13 > I've currently switched back to 5.5 because I don't know what the upgrade
14 > price is and I won't want to be forced into it because I have created too
15 > many 6.0 VMs: so I converted them back to V5 format and am awaiting an
16 > announcement of the release and prices.
17
18 emerge layman
19 layman -a vmware
20
21 I don't add beta software for commercial products into the tree unless
22 it's been authorized by the company. If you want the beta, use the
23 overlay. Once 6.0 goes final, I'll add it to the tree.
26 Chris Gianelloni
27 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
28 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
29 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
30 Gentoo Foundation