From: Theo Chatzimichos <tampakrap@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] use flags consolekit and policykit
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:39:30
On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
<dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
> > Dear all, > > at the last kde meeting we've been discussing the usefulness of the use flags > consolekit and policykit. I'm quoting from the summary: > >> scarabeus and dilfridge are in favour of dropping them, since it >> caused a lot of trouble debugging various user reports. reavertm >> prefers adding it to IUSE defaults. No consensus was succeeded, >> the topic will be continued in the gentoo-desktop mailing list. > > As an example, according to > > policykit is _not_ a hard dependency of kde, but _required_ whenever you want > to "run as" or configure something in systemsettings as root. > > The three options available are > 1) removing the useflags, effectively "forcing them on". Easiest for us > maintainers, > 2) forcing them on with use.force in the profile, and trust that not so many > users figure out how to get around this :) > 3) making them "on by default" > > As a special gem, after switching one of the flags it may be necessary to > recompile larger parts of kde and / or restart kdm. > > Opinions?
The depedencies are indeed really small, but the reason that some of us objected is that we want to follow upstream's decisions on what is optional and what is not. A similar issue that emerged recently is udisks and friends, which is also optional according to upstream and not needed for people that want KDElibs for only a few apps and not for the full DE. We'd like to have some user feedback on this before our final decision.

Subject Author
[gentoo-desktop] Re: use flags consolekit and policykit Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Re: [gentoo-desktop] use flags consolekit and policykit Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>