From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:41:37
Thus spake Chris Gianelloni on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:43:27PM CDT
> On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 18:17, Lindsay Haisley wrote: > > It is still being worked on... there are a few preliminary patches out > there that do this, but nothing has gone official yet. There's always > /var/log/emerge.log, though... ;]
Well yes, but emerge.log just says what was done, it doesn't record all the notes, warnings, special instructions, etc. which were put into the package by the gentoo devs and output using ewarn and einfo. This is not rocket science. e.g., in /etc/init.d/, add the following to the definitions of einfo and ewarn: if [ "${RC_DOC_FD3}" = "yes" ]; then echo -e " ${GOOD}*${NORMAL} ${*}" >&3 fi Then run # export RC_DOC_FD3=yes # emerge blah 3> /tmp/foo # less /tmp/foo This could be spruced up a bit so that each ebuild declared itself to fd 3 so as to identify each section of comments in the output, but this shouldn't be difficult. One would have to remember to always redirect to fd 3 to avoid "bad file descriptor messages", but with a little effort this could be supressed, I'd guess. Actually, this is so obvious that I think I'll just do it :-) -- Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <> | ("The Roadie") | -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't? Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>