From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] What "just works" and what doesn't?
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:41:37
1 Thus spake Chris Gianelloni on Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 05:43:27PM CDT
2 > On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 18:17, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
3 >
4 > It is still being worked on... there are a few preliminary patches out
5 > there that do this, but nothing has gone official yet. There's always
6 > /var/log/emerge.log, though... ;]
7
8 Well yes, but emerge.log just says what was done, it doesn't record all the
9 notes, warnings, special instructions, etc. which were put into the package
10 by the gentoo devs and output using ewarn and einfo.
11
12 This is not rocket science. e.g., in /etc/init.d/functions.sh, add the
13 following to the definitions of einfo and ewarn:
14
15 if [ "${RC_DOC_FD3}" = "yes" ]; then
16 echo -e " ${GOOD}*${NORMAL} ${*}" >&3
17 fi
18
19 Then run
20
21 # export RC_DOC_FD3=yes
22 # emerge blah 3> /tmp/foo
23 # less /tmp/foo
24
25 This could be spruced up a bit so that each ebuild declared itself to fd 3
26 so as to identify each section of comments in the output, but this shouldn't
27 be difficult. One would have to remember to always redirect to fd 3 to
28 avoid "bad file descriptor messages", but with a little effort this could be
29 supressed, I'd guess.
30
31 Actually, this is so obvious that I think I'll just do it :-)
34 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
35 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
36 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
37 http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |
40 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list