From: Mikko Husari <husku@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] IM Software
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:54:58
1 sean wrote:
2 > I am still using gaim, not moved over to what appears their new name
3 > Pidgin so I thought I would ask here for recommendations.
4 >
5 > I like the way gaim works, but I was wondering is there a package like
6 > gaim, and in portage that would also include some sort of video
7 > capabilities as well, and be cross platform?
8 >
9 > Thanks
10 > Sean
11
12 Well, when my gf went to Netherlands for 3 months we bought webcams and
13 headsets. (she uses windows and i use gentoo). We tried to use Kopete +
14 MSN messenger for video conferensing but that does not work well with
15 NAT and firewalls so we had to bury that option, after a few days of
16 googling around we found the 'best solution (imho)' to be wengophone. It
17 is an voip-software that handles multiple im-protocols and has its own
18 protocol for im (i think it only supports audio/video on its own
19 protocol, so you both need to use it). the video/audio quality was
20 actually quite excellent and we have been happily using it for a while.
21 So, i would recommend to test that even though that it is masked.
22 forums.gentoo.org also has few threads about it.
23
24 * net-voip/wengophone [ Masked ]
25 Latest version available: 2.2
26 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
27 Size of files: 0 kB
28 Homepage: http://www.openwengo.org/
30 protocol
31 License: GPL-2
32
33 * net-voip/wengophone-bin [ Masked ]
34 Latest version available: 2.1.2
35 Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
36 Size of files: 24,207 kB
37 Homepage: http://www.openwengo.org/
39 protocol
40 License: GPL-2