From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Gnome and desktop sounds
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:13:35
1 I have my desktop system configured to use a custom esd command which
2 sends desktop event sounds to a pair of cheezy little speakers in front
3 of me (used to be the built-in speakers on my LCD display) but if I play
4 a CD, or a sound file, the sound goes to a pair of JBL studio monitors
5 connected to an external amp. When it works, it's very nice, and takes
6 advantage of the multi-channel hardware in my sound card.
7
8 The trouble is, most of the time when I boot the box, gnome runs the
9 command "esd --nobeeps", which sends sound through the big speakers.
10 The command it should run is "esd -nobeeps -as 2 -d pcm.lcd" ('pcm.lcd'
11 is an ALSA interface defined in my .asoundrc). If I kill esd from
12 within a session and restart it from a command shell, the desktop
13 doesn't connect with the new daemon. The same thing happens if I do
14 this from another VT. If I start esd with the proper command while
15 logged out of gnome and then log in, the gnome session kills the running
16 esd and starts its own with the wrong command.
17
18 I've tried putting the proper invocation in /etc/esd/esd.conf but it
19 only works sometimes.
20
21 Where in the gnome configuration is the command to start esd stored, or
22 is it hard-coded? I've found switches in the UI and in gconf to turn
23 esd on and off, but I can't find where the esd startup command is
24 located.
25
26 Any help?
29 Lindsay Haisley | "Never expect the people who caused a problem
30 FMP Computer Services | to solve it." (Albert Einstein)
31 512-259-1190 |
32 http://www.fmp.com |