From: Martin von Gagern <Martin.vGagern@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset tracking branches/3.5
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:28:44
1 Hi there!
2
3 I've just pushed a number of related commits to the kde-sunset git. The
4 idea is to incorporate all changes committed to the 3.5 branch in the
5 upstream svn repository. This gives us some security fixes, some
6 portability fixes, some translations, and in general ensures that work
7 done by KDE 3.5 devs won't go to waste.
8
9 I've ensured that all these patches do apply, and I've successfully
10 compiled most of the packages as well. I'm actively using only a small
11 number of these apps myself, so I can'd give you any comment on runtime
12 behaviour. I've had a cursory glance at most of the patches, but haven't
13 looked for interaction with other Gentoo patches, unless the patches
14 failed to apply in sequence. So it might well be that KDE svn fixes some
15 issue and Gentoo fixes the same issue in a different place in the code,
16 causing a double fix which might be wasting resources in the best case
17 and actually breaking stuff in the worst case. Nevertheless, I deem such
18 changes colliding at run-time but not at patch-time to be rather rare,
19 so I still assume these patches to correct much more than they break.
20 And I've marked all new ebuilds to ~ARCH in order to give them some
21 testing without interfering with stable KDE 3.5 users. If someone wants
22 to examine the patches more closely, and ensure that they play nice with
23 Gentoo patches, be my guest.
24
25 For a single package, ksvg, the latest securtiy fix committed upstream
26 seems to be plain nonsense; it refers to an undeclared member and thus
27 won't even compile. In this case I've dropped the patch from KDE svn and
28 resorted to applying Debian patches instead. This is of course only a
29 single package, and there are many more to which there might be relevant
30 patches in other distros as well. It might be worthwhile to collect
31 these patches, split them to match the module structure used by Gentoo,
32 and try to see which of these are relevant, which do apply without
33 further work, which should be made to apply, and so on. I won't do this
34 myself, but I'd be glad to provide help and suggestions. If multiple
35 people want to contribute to such a set of imported patches, a branch in
36 our shared git repository might be a suitable platform for it, along
37 with this mailing list. Dunno.
38
39 Greetings,
40 Martin von Gagern