From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 16:37:32
On Sun, 2011-03-20 at 08:24 +0000, Jean-Marc Beaune wrote:
> This is due to ATA/ATAPI (DEPRECATED) being disabled in newer kernels, > replaced by Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers. > > Make sure you enabled this support properly. > > In my case that happened to me as well, on a remote computer, which > was my mother's box... > > Anyway, in fstab /dev/sdXX shoud work, at least I made this change on > a couple of machines and that went fine.
Jean-Marc, thanks. This gives me a bit of insight. I've been compiling kernels for this box for some time, carrying over the .config file between kernel versions and updating them. Last night I built IDE functionality as a module (it was previously compiled into the kernel, as per my carried-over .config files) thinking that I would simply not load it at run-time. As I noted in my post, while the the kernel recognized "root=/dev/sda4" as a kernel param, the boot process crashed with a note that "/dev/sda4" wasn't recognized. It's entirely possible that this module got auto-loaded, or that there's some other anomaly in my kernel config that's throwing things off. My next step is to completely rebuild the kernel, using the config built into the distributed kernel source, making only the necessary mods for the box's hardware needs. I'll find a time window during the next few days to work on this. -- Lindsay Haisley |"Windows ..... FMP Computer Services | life's too short!" 512-259-1190 | | - Brad Johnston

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>