From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: has the sun set ?
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 03:19:14
1 Jonathan Callen posted on Wed, 03 Jun 2015 20:45:17 -0400 as excerpted:
2
4 > Hash: SHA512
5 >
6 > On 2015-06-03 12:08, Duncan wrote:
7
8 >> It's even possible to get the ebuild out of a binpkg if necessary --
9 >> open the binpkg in a text-editor, and while the first part will be a
10 >> bunch of compressed garbage, near the end you'll find the ebuild in
11 >> plain-text, followed by some additional metadata. You can then delete
12 >> the stuff before and after the ebuild in the editor (don't save it back
13 >> to the original binpkg file) and save the remaining ebuild to a normal
14 >> ebuild file.
17 > An easier method, if you have portage-utils installed, is to use `qtbz2
18 > -s package-ver.tbz2` to split the .tbz2 binpkg into a .tar.bz2 with the
19 > contents and a .xpak with the metadata, then use `qxpak -x
20 > package-ver.xpak package-ver.ebuild` to extract just the ebuild from the
21 > xpak.
22
23 I guess "easier" is defined by the person doing it. =:^)
24
25 Obviously, were I doing it frequently it'd be worth scripting your
26 commands, thus avoiding both having to remember the specific command
27 details /and/ the manual editing, but I don't end up doing it enough to
28 remember the commands and their options or to be worth scripting it, and
29 absent a script supplying the specific command and options I need, in the
30 time it would take me to look it up, type them in, and verify correctness
31 before actually hitting enter, I can edit the file manually and be on to
32 something else.
33
34 But thanks. TIMTOWTDI (common perl camp abbreviation: there is more than
35 one way to do it), and the more options posted, the easier it should be
36 to find something that works best for them. =:^)
41 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman