From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: kde-sunset: new akode build problems
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 13:20:37
1 On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > FWIW, the type of breakage parallel make issues cause is, AFAIK, always a
4 > build-time breakage. If it builds fine but fails at run-time, it's not
5 > due to parallel make, but due to some other reason.
6
7 That's excellent to hear! Well, I've enabled '-j3' then on two of my
8 machines. They're both quad cores, and I'd like to always leave at
9 least one core completely free. Thanks for the tip.
10
11 > I've never met a desktop environment that I liked in default config. FWIW,
12 > that's one of the reasons I'm a kde guy, as the lack of proper config
13 > options for gnome drives me crazy.
14
15 Even Linus Torvalds has griped about Gnome on that issue (which must
16 have been very embarrassing for the Gnome devels...). I find myself
17 using Gnome a lot at work though instead of KDE, because when I have all
18 those desktop options, it makes me want to tweak them all day, and I
19 can't help myself. At least with Gnome, my hands are tied, so then I
20 can get some work done. :)
21
22 > Early
23 > kde4 was as pretty much everyone agrees now, simply a mess. 4.4 is a
24 > reasonable release candidate, and 4.5 is honestly the first 4.x version I
25 > can without qualms recommend to pretty much anyone and everyone.)
26
27 I'll try it out again sometime... From what I've heard, Phonon actually
28 works with pro audio apps a lot better than artsd ever did. (Actually
29 what pro audio apps do with artsd is ignore and bypass it.) The last I
30 tried KDE 4, I think they were at 4.2, and they didn't even have Konsole
31 at a point where it didn't feel like a handicapped version with most of
32 its features stripped. I thought that if they couldn't even make the
33 terminal emulator work, what's the point. I'll give it another shot
34 though.
37 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
38 + UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
39 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
40 + Physical Sciences Div. + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
41 + James Franck Institute + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky