From: "E. Liddell" <ejlddll@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Packaging Trinity--looking for help
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:03:18
1 On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 04:43:53 +0000 (UTC)
2 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > E. Liddell posted on Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:26:52 -0400 as excerpted:
5 >
6 > > The long version: Trinity, the fork of KDE3, is currently in the middle
7 > > of converting from the old autotools-based KDE build system to a more
8 > > maintainable setup based on cmake.
9 >
10 > > The best we've managed to be able to do is get the builds to reach the
11 > > linker stage, where they break due to missing libraries which we seem to
12 > > be unable to reinject—append-libs and various methods of manipulating
13 > > LDFLAGS within the ebuilds seem to do nothing.
14 >
15 > I've no idea if this will help or not, or whether you've tried it or not,
16 > but...
17 >
18 > It occurs to me that kde3 was probably "sunsetted" before gentoo's switch
19 > to --as-needed linker flags by default. Now I switched to --as-needed
20 > here, long before gentoo switched its default, and /think/ I was running
21 > that here for some time before I upgraded to kde4. If I'm correct, then
22 > kde3 as it was back then, at least, could run with --as-needed, but I'm
23 > not sure if it stayed that way or what patches gentoo might have already
24 > been using at the time in ordered to make it work, that might well need
25 > updating to /keep/ it working.
26 >
27 > So, umm... yeah, try disabling the --as-needed linking, thus triggering
28 > overlinking in many cases, but possibly helping here, and see if it helps.
29 >
30 > But I'm not the autotools guru you're looking for. Sorry. This kinda
31 > sorta sounds like it might help, but maybe not, too. Maybe it's a
32 > combination of this so it doesn't ignore your appended libs, tho, and
33 > actually appending the libs? That's what I thought of first when reading
34 > your description, but I'd guess you've already tried it, too. Still,
35 > it's worth the suggestion, just in case...
36
37 I suspected the --as-needed flag of being the culprit at first myself,
38 but it turned out not to be that simple—the switches that would add
39 the libs just refuse to appear in the ld command, even if --no-as-needed
40 is passed. Adding the libs manually to the end of the line makes the
41 command go through, but that doesn't help with the ebuild.
42
43 Thanks for trying, though.
44
45 E. Liddell