From: Brent Busby <brent@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: ffmpeg versions in portage
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 07:38:16
1 On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > [Adding this note after I wrote the below. I think it ended up
4 > reading harsher than I intended. I know people choose stable for a
5 > reason and I really do respect that. Those people simply aren't me,
6 > nor that reason mine... and that certainly comes out in the below.
7 > But no personal, or even whole-group, offense intended. It's just not
8 > me. But it's your machine, not mine, and gentoo wouldn't be gentoo if
9 > it didn't respect your ultimate control of your machine, neither would
10 > I be me in the same case. So, umm... Read the below with that in
11 > mind. =:^) ]
12
13 Well, it's mostly stable. I have a rather long package.keywords file
14 full of things I've allowed ~amd64 on, and I've been careful about which
15 packages those are. Some are even live ebuilds pulled from GIT.
16
17 The main reason I'm running stable is because this machine is used for
18 audio recording and music production, and I need it to work. I have
19 quite a bit of experience in chasing down problems, but I'd like to keep
20 that to a minimum.
21
22 And no, I don't want a binary distro. Those have their own problems.
23
24 > I think what you actually want to know (which isn't what you asked), is
25 > if anyone running _sta(b)le_ amd64, is running ffmpeg 2.x without issues.
26 >
27 > Because people running ~amd64, including me, if they're current (I am),
28 > are running ffmpeg-2.5.4.
29 >
30 > And in general, I've not seen issues.
31
32 Ok, well that's basically what I was wanting to know, since it was the
33 stability of ffmpeg 2.5 itself I was wondering about.
34
35 > However, that's because the various other apps also in ~amd64 have in
36 > general already been updated to work with the newer ffmpeg.
37 >
38 > Which is the problem with stale^h^hble amd64, and sta(b)le gentoo in
39 > general. The newer ffmpeg can't be unmasked to sta(b)le until pretty
40 > much everything else in sta(b)le has been updated to work with it as well.
41
42 Yes, for that reason, I will very likely end up keeping 1.2 for awhile.
43 I only unmask when it's possible to do so without a lot of complication.
44
45 > And in fact, whenever there's something that has gotten as far behind on
46 > stable as ffmpeg has, in particular, for stuff like gcc, it's very likely
47 > the same general problem. On gentoo, for packages like gcc in
48 > particular, even ~amd64 (and ~arch in general) is generally quite behind,
49 > because before it's unmasked to ~arch, they want to ensure that all other
50 > packages (at the same ~arch) level have been patched to build with it.
51 > Which means it takes "forever" to unmask even to ~arch, because of all
52 > those other packages that have to be either updated first, or patched to
53 > build with the new gcc. Then when all that is done and it hits ~arch,
54 > the process starts over for sta(b)le; all those patched packages have to
55 > be sta(b)le keyworded before gcc itself can be sta(b)le keyworded.
56 >
57 > And yes, sometimes that does mean "stable" is "stale", no two ways about
58 > it. But it's a choice you make...
59
60 I know...and I can wait, if it's going to cause a lot of interdependency
61 problems with other packages. I've found that stuff does usually make
62 it to stable eventually, so I don't really have a cow about it.
63
64 > But at least gentoo does make it real easy to package.keyword specific
65 > packages if you like, so you can be sta(b)le on most things while
66 > choosing to try arch or even masked versions if you dare.
67
68 This is one of the biggest reasons I run Gentoo instead of a binary
69 distro. Debian-based distros have APT-pinning, but it doesn't work
70 nearly as well, because binary packages have already been compiled
71 against the libraries they were meant for. You can do your own
72 backports, but that's even more special treatment to hassle you with.
73 Most of the time, if you unmask a package on Gentoo, it just compiles
74 against what you have, and it just works, now, and after future system
75 upgrades.
76
77 > If you like you can do an equery depends ffmpeg, and see which packages
78 > that you actually have installed depend on it. You can then research
79 > each one to see if the version you currently have merged can function
80 > with the newer ffmpeg, and if not, you can of course package.keyword it
81 > ~arch at the same time.
82
83 Mostly I just wondered if anyone could tell me if ffmpeg 2.5 itself is
84 fundamentally broken in some way. Sounds like it's fine...
87 + Brent A. Busby + "We've all heard that a million monkeys
88 + Sr. UNIX Systems Admin + banging on a million typewriters will
89 + University of Chicago + eventually reproduce the entire works of
90 + James Franck Institute + Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet,
91 + Materials Research Ctr + we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky