From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] net.eth0 problem
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 22:48:57
On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 17:34:22 -0500, maillists wrote:

> I have a desktop system and I just updated the system "emerge auvDN > system"
That doesn't tell us which packages were updated, use genlop to get a list of what was updated.
> now when I > reboot, the init script for eth0 fails. The only way I can get > networking to work is if I run "dhcpcd eth0" manually after it boots. As > a result, sshd cant run at all. > > This is my error: > > bong rbragg # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start > * Please make sure that /etc/conf.d/net has $ifconfig_ set > * (or $iface_ for old-style configuration) > > I have not chanted my "/etc/conf.d/net" file at all, and it looks > good...
If you updated baselayout, chances are you have a new version that doesn't like the old config file syntax. Did you get any warnings about config file changes when the emerge completed? Did you run dispatch-conf or etc-update?
> Does anybody know what I should do to start down the path of fixing > this?
Run dispatch-conf/etc-update, check /etc/conf.d/net and compare it with /etc/conf.d/net.example. -- Neil Bothwick How is it possible to have a civil war?