From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Xorg-Toshiba Laptop
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:45:15
1 Thus spake Luke-Jr on Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:10:32PM CDT
2 > On Friday 08 October 2004 4:59 pm, Ettore Salvi wrote:
3 > > Hi everybody:
4 > > I'm installing Gentoo on my laptop (Toshiba Satellite A30 ).
5 > > For XFree86Config
6 >
7 > Your first mistake is using XFree. Most of the Linux world (incl Gentoo) are
8 > using X.org now.
9
10 This is news to me, although I note, now that you mention it, that there's
11 an xorg-x11 ebuild in Gentoo (blocked by XFree). When I installed Gentoo on
12 my desktop box a year ago or so, I believe that Xfree was recommended.
13
14 A few questions:
15
16 What are the advantages of X.org over XFree?
17
18 If I have XFree successfully installed and running, are there any advantages
19 to switching?
20
21 Do 3rd party vendors, notably VMWare which I think supplies an optimized
22 XFree driver, support X.org?
25 Lindsay Haisley | "Everything works | PGP public key
26 FMP Computer Services | if you let it" | available at
27 512-259-1190 | (Travis W. Redfish) | <http://www.fmp.com/pubkeys>
28 http://www.fmp.com | ("The Roadie") |
31 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list