From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Nvidia video problems
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:49:52
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 16:26 +0200, Andreas Karlsson wrote:
3 >> On topic: What however DO annoy me, speaking of Nvidia, is the delay in
4 >> releaseing the new driver compatible with x.org 7.x. I'm tempted to go with
5 >> the open source module for a while as I really don't use any heavy OpenGL
6 >> applications (no games for me). Can anyone please give me some indication on
7 >> the speed difference in 2d acceleration between the open and the closed
8 >> drivers?
9 >
10 > First off, the NVIDIA drivers work on X.Org 7.0, just not on 7.1.
11 > Second, the "nv" driver is abysmal, at best. I've found that the VESA
12 > driver gives better performance, especially when watching video. The
13 > performance advantages of the binary drivers aren't just in OpenGL
14 > performance.
15 >
16 > Let me put it to you this way, the performance is *SO BAD* with the "nv"
17 > driver that for 2006.1, we're replacing "nv" with "vesa" in our X
18 > detection system, so we get fewer complaints.
19
20 On systems with accelerated fbdev, you'll probably get faster results
21 from the fbdev driver than vesa.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Donnie