From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Re: ati-driver 8.16.20 and kernel 2.6.12
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:20:54
1 On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 05:08 -0700, Duncan wrote:
2 > Benjamin Grauer posted <4314E255.3040405@××××××××××××.ch>, excerpted
3 > below, on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 00:48:53 +0200:
4 >
5 > > i read on the absolutely lousy ati-page, that the new driver 8.16.20 now
6 > > finally supports kernel2.6.12, but the package is not in portage...
7 >
8 > Note that I'm not a developer, so won't address the question of when the
9 > new driver might be in portage or why it isn't yet there. This post
10 > addresses your other options.
11
12 Ehh... our package is patched anyway, so information on the ATI web site
13 doesn't necessarily apply.
14
15 > <strong-personal-opinion>
16 >
17 > Personally, I refuse to run what I call "slaveryware", that is, drivers
18 > that are closed source and therefore not "freedomware". However, I accept
19 > that some gamers and the like are willing to live with closed source
20 > drivers, preferring to live with the closed source aspect, in ordered to
21 > get the hardware accelerated 3D frame-rates. While I consider such a
22 > choice the equivalent of selling one's soul to the devil -- supporting a
23 > company that refuses to open up their sources for /proper/ open source
24 > support, that's a personal opinion that I realize others don't necessarily
25 > share, and to force my opinion on others would be more rights violating
26 > than the companies refusing to support open source.
27 >
28 > </strong-personal-opinion>
29
30 Was there a point in this? (again)
31
32 After all, it would be "slaveryware" if when you walked into CompUSA,
33 someone bound you, grabbed an NVidia video card, put it in your
34 computer, then forced you to use it along with the binary drivers
35 without any choice whatsoever. Nothing is *ever* "slaveryware" so long
36 as you can choose to not use it, so please, please, PLEASE... DO NOT
37 EVER USE THAT TERM AGAIN... it is insulting and degrading, as I have
38 told you multiple times now. Perhaps you could think of something
39 slightly less offensive to call it, rather than continuing to use a
40 terminology that implies being bound and forced against one's will?
41
42 Nobody gives a damn about your opinion that someone has sold their soul
43 because they happen to use a piece of software that isn't 100% open
44 source. It's just software, man. Are you this adamant about Oracle, or
45 games, or any other piece of closed-source software? Have you ever
46 heard of *licensing* intellectual property from another company?
47 Perhaps they *cannot* release a complete set of drivers/sources/specs
48 legally? Have you *ever* considered that before making your
49 self-centered degrading comments?
50
51 The guy is asking a *technical* question. Leave your pseudo-moral
52 political bullshit out of the conversation, please. It isn't requested
53 nor warranted.
54
55 Thank you...
56
57 > Of course, another viable option would be returning to a kernel <2.6.12.
58
59 This might be your easiest course of action.
60
61 > Finally, since you say the new closed source drivers aren't in portage
62 > yet, you have the option of installing them using ATI's install
63 > procedure, and using package.provided to tell portage they are installed,
64 > if anything else in portage requires them.
65
66 Is there a bug for having these drivers added to portage? Have you
67 added yourself to the CC list?
70 Chris Gianelloni
72 Games - Developer
73 Gentoo Linux