From: Martin Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Interest inquery: kde4-nosemantic overlay
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 08:05:22
1 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > Given
4 > that the only user response so far is (effectively) that I'm making a
5 > mountain out of a molehill...
6
7 I just post to let you know that you are not alone :)
8
9 You also have friends in the forum sharing your opinion
10 https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-963504-highlight-.html
11
12 Your effort is really appreciated.
13 However, I guess that most people are like me and just gave up:
14 If it really means to make new upstream patches and actually
15 fight against upstream policy, it is not worth the hassle.
16 The change of the Gentoo policy caused me to remove KDE,
17 and I guess most users who do not want the dependencies
18 have done (or will do) the same.
19
20 Independently on the overlay, I think your framework is
21 very interesting: Does your framework manage the ebuilds
22 in some overlay, or is it actually running tranparently
23 during emerge (probably with a patched version of portage),
24 allowing e.g. to change metadata without maintaining the
25 ebuild in a separate local overlay?
26 (I guess that it is the former, but your choice of the path
27 /etc/portage/... suggests the latter)