From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Openssh really needed in desktop profiles?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:56:44
1 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> posted
2 1172595296.8807.147.camel@××××××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Tue,
3 27 Feb 2007 11:54:56 -0500:
4
5 [on profile multi-inheritance]
6
7 > Actually, it wouldn't be as long as you think, thanks to the "obsolete"
8 > profile that already exists. Rather than the usual "two release"
9 > deprecation, where we only deprecate two releases back and older, we
10 > would deprecate *everything* prior to 2007.0 and remove them all on the
11 > same date, which would likely be 6 months or so after. Remember that
12 > even the 2006.1 stable portage (2.1) had support for multi-inheritance,
13 > we just haven't gotten around to using it.
14
15 I can't complain about that! =8^) Six months is fine by me. Of course I
16 run all ~arch too, and am already running the amd64/2007.0 experimental
17 profile, so I'm not in the class such a delay is trying to help.
18
19 Anyway, nice to see it being tried.
20
21 BTW, is there any app in the tree that helps to trace down where a
22 particular setting is coming from? We have emerge --info to list the
23 final outcome (minus package.* and the like), but it can be more work
24 than it should be to find where a specific setting is actually coming
25 from in the profile cascade, and multi-inheritance isn't likely to make
26 it any easier, so if there's such a utility, it'd sure come in handy!
27 Unfortunately, I've not come across one yet. =8^(
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
35 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list