From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] kde-sunset
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:20:44
1 Le Sat, 14 Dec 2013 11:33:30 +0100,
2 Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@××××××.ch> a écrit :
3
4 > Le Sat, 14 Dec 2013 01:16:25 +0100,
5 > <wabenbau@×××××.com> a écrit :
6 >
7 > > Am Donnerstag, 05.12.2013 um 18:09
8 > > schrieb Andreas Sturmlechner <andreas.sturmlechner@×××××.com>:
9 > >
10 > > > ---Original Message---
11 > > > From: wabenbau@×××××.com
12 > > > > Hi folks,
13 > > > >
14 > > > > I was a KDE user for many years (starting with KDE version 0.4)
15 > > > > but since KDE4 ousted KDE3 I'm using XFCE.
16 >
17 > Fvwm-crystal here from many years ago. Its application menu have full
18 > support for the additional free desktop categories out of the box,
19 > which make it the most maintenance free apps menu of all desktops.
20 >
21 > Recent versions include a native support with nice 2 pictures icons
22 > for the xdg-user-directories with any file manager you can think
23 > about, inclusive console stuffs like mc (2 simultaneously with left
24 > and middle click, + contextual menu on right click).
25 >
26 > It is funny, fast, stable and don't bloat your system. Its memory
27 > usage depend mostly on the modules in use into a recipe
28 > (theme), more modules imply more memory, but the speed remain the
29 > same, only the start time is different from one recipe to another.
30 >
31 > > > [CUT]
32 > > > > Before I try to do this, I have some questions.
33 > > > >
34 > > > > 1. How secure is it to use KDE 3.5 from the kde-sunset overlay?
35 > > > > Are there maybe security leaks that are fixed in KDE4 but not in
36 > > > > KDE 3.5?
37 >
38 > Fvwm-crystal provide only a desktop and don't bloat in any way with
39 > the system. It will be as secure than your system , your preferred
40 > file managers, browsers, and other softwares are, not more, but not
41 > less.
42 >
43 > A new version is in preparation for the end of the year or something
44 > like that. It will add a new function (random loop wallpaper) and
45 > contain a major and a few minor bug fixes.
46
47 And an editor for the few preferences which are not included directly
48 into its main menu.
51 > Dominique
52 >