From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Re: Unmerge problem.
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 23:34:30
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. posted <200412021300.37858.bss03@××××××××××.com>,
excerpted below,  on Thu, 02 Dec 2004 13:00:37 -0600:

> On Thursday 02 December 2004 12:42 pm, "Chris Barker" > <Chris.Barker@××××.gov> wrote: >> /usr/lib/portage/bin/ >> /var/db/pkg/net-firewall/shorewall-1.4.7c/shorew all-1.4.7c.ebuild: >> line 31: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"' >> /usr/lib/portage/bin/ >> /var/db/pkg/net-firewall/shorewall-1.4.7c/shorew all-1.4.7c.ebuild: >> line 33: syntax error: unexpected end of file > > Hmm, I'm not sure what the "correct" way to handle this is. However, I'd > probably just inspect that file manually. It appears to be missing a " > around lines 30-35. If you can put it in that should solve your problems. > If the file is trash or you can't find a solution, try replacing that file > with the one of the same name from /usr/portage/net-firewall/shorewall/
I expect this is the old ^A (I think it was) problem. For some reason, something at one point was screwing up the stored ebuilds used to unmerge currently merged packages. (I don't remember if I ever knew why and it doesn't matter except that it's been fixed now.) Terminating quotes were turning into ^A, and portage was of course having difficulties unmerging the affected packages. The solution is just as you said -- go manually correct the file, or move the current copy (assuming it still exists in the normal portage tree) over the defective one. No big deal, except that it caused and continues to cause repeated duplicate bugs on a problem long since fixed, as people turn up more packages affected by the problem when they try to unmerge them. (I'm guessing the original problem must have occurred about this time last year, as I only saw discussion of the by then fixed problem, with many developers getting a bit irritated at having to repeat themselves so many times, in the groups/lists, by the time I got around to switching from Mandrake to Gentoo, this past spring.) -- Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs. "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list