From: Aniruddha <mailing_list@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Heart rate monitors in gentooo?
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 13:47:02
On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 23:11 +0100, Rasmus Wiman wrote:
> Hi, > > is anyone using a heart rate monitor watch and downloading/viewing the > data in gentoo? If so, what brand if monitor du you use? I would like > to buy one and would prefer buying from a manufacturer that isn't too > linux-hostile. Here in Sweden the most common brands are Polar and > Suunto, how well do their watches work with gentoo? Do they use highly > obfuscated formats and bizarre nonstandard usb-stuff for downloading > data or i it all fairly straightforward stuff that can be plotted > almost right away in gnuplot, octave or similar software? > > Any brands or models that should be avoided at all costs? > > Thanks, > Rasmus
For an efficient workout you don't need a PC companion. I think you should first look for the most accurate heart rate monitor (there is a lot of crap out there). I have a polar which works fine. Then I would email the brand you've chosen if they provide Linux support and if not why. Are they considering it for the future? Maybe you can put more pressure behind it with a Swedish user group. Finally I would think really hard if I really need that pc software. My guess is that unless you are a professional athlete spend your time having fun in the activity instead of managing it ;) -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] Heart rate monitors in gentooo? Rasmus Wiman <rasmus@×××××.org>