From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nautilus-CD-Burner issue
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:13:50
1 On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 19:46 -0600, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
2 > Thus spake Adam Petaccia on Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 06:08:36PM CST
3 > > "emerge --newuse world" is _very_ helpful here ;-)
4 >
5 > Hmmm. Very interesting! 'emerge --newuse -p world' gives me a long list of
6 > packages, some of which aren't even installed, and which probably aren't
7 > depended by anything else. This is odd.
8
9 That is rather strange. Are you sure they are not installed?
10
11 > This list also includes updates on a number of packages which are apparently
12 > slipping through the cracks when I do a daily 'emerge -u world'. I've been
13 > noticing this for some time now. Some packages apparently didn't get
14 > registered with 'world' when they're built, and I come on them from time to
15 > time by chance and notice the version differences between what's installed
16 > and what's available.
17
18 Don't use "emerge -u world". A much better solution is to use "emerge
19 -uD world" as it does deep checks on dependencies. Only packages that
20 you specify with the "emerge" command ever get registered with world.
21 Dependencies never do. Also, if you have *anything* showing up in your
22 --newuse, then you've changed your USE flags quite a bit. I would
23 suggest doing a "emerge -p depclean" and checking out what portage will
24 want to remove, then do an "emerge depclean" followed by an "emerge -uD
25 --newuse world" followed by an "emerge -uD world".
26
27 > 'emerge --newuse -u -p world' gives me a longer list, which is apparently a
28 > superset of the above. I would expect the list to be shorter.
29
30 Correct. The -u option means to not only display the --newuse stuff,
31 but *also* a list of upgrades. They are additive.
34 Chris Gianelloni
35 Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
36 Games - Developer
37 Gentoo Linux