From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Openssh really needed in desktop profiles?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 02:20:25
1 On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 15:09 +0000, Duncan wrote:
2 > OK, I've not seen this dealt with on any of the Gentoo groups/lists I'm
3 > in since at least early 2004, there's nothing I can find about it on
4 > bugs, and for some reason my package.provided entry quit working,
5 > bringing the question back to the front burner.
6 >
7 > Why is openssh (as virtual/ssh) part of the desktop profiles?
8
9 Uhh... Because I like it and people expect it to be there. You're more
10 than capable of removing it from your system.
11
12 > Anyway, I think at least a discussion might be worthwhile, and I decided
13 > to bring it up here to see what desktop folks thought, before bothering
14 > the entire dev list with the idea. If it gets shot down here, then no
15 > need to bring it up there. I keep thinking that /someone/ must have
16 > asked the question before, but I haven't seen it in three years now, so
17 > it can't be /too/ much of a FAQ.
18
19 Feel free to bring it up, but the desktop profile is maintained by
20 Release Engineering since it is used to build release media. I have no
21 intentions on removing it, since I see it as invaluable, but if a
22 convincing enough argument were made, I could see *some* concessions on
23 it. My personal belief is that the profiles shouldn't be removing
24 requirements on things unless they're incompatible.
27 Chris Gianelloni
28 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
29 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
30 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
31 Gentoo Foundation