From: Mansour <mansour77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Installation - Kernel panic
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:31:42
1 Hello,
2 I am trying to install gentoo on a desktop machine. I downloaded the
3 minimal CD and followed the instruction in the quick installation. Now,
4 I have a problem either in the grub configuration or in kernel and I
5 need help to figure this one out.
6
7 I have existing partitions for windows and my previous Fedora (/home
8 directory), therefore I installed gentoo on /dev/hda3. The problem is I
9 get a kernel panic when I try to boot. In grub I am using (hd0,2) as my
10 root, because I don't want to write anything to the mbr. After editing
11 grub.conf, I run a grub shell, and execute the commands root(hd0,2) then
12 setup(hd0,2). Then tried to reboot.
13
14 Here the relevant part of grub.conf:
15 ============================
16 title Linux
17 root (hd0,2)
18 kernel (hd0,2)/boot/kernel root=/dev/hda3
20
21 I don't have a separate partition for boot, it's on the root "/" filesystem.
22
23 Can anyone tell what's going on ? If there's missing info please let me
24 know, as everyone has different way when troubleshooting a problem.
27 gentoo-desktop@l.g.o mailing list