From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] DM info variants for the new xdm init.d script
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 14:03:07
1 On 22:30 Mon 25 Oct , Michał Górny wrote:
2 > 1) 'profile' files installed by DMs
3 > -----------------------------------
4 >
5 > This is the most flexible yet heaviest of the possible solutions. It
6 > assumes that we set up some kind of 'session' directory in which
7 > various DMs install a single file describing how to launch them, and
8 > the XDM script tries to match one of these files and use them to set
9 > the DM up.
10 >
11 > For example, xdm would install a file like:
12 >
13 > # /usr/share/gentoo/dms/xdm
14 > exe=/usr/bin/xdm
15 > pidfile=/var/run/xdm.pid
16 >
17 > This is very close to what we do now. It still requires a lot of
18 > customization for non-typical DMs (like lxde).
19 >
20 > On the other hand, this way we could grab 'any installed DM' easily
21 > without requiring user to specify it in DISPLAYMANAGER.
22
23 I do like the idea of not needing to modify xdm/xinit stuff every time
24 there's a new DM. I also like the parallels with Xsessions
25 (/etc/X11/Sessions/).
26
27 > 2) separate init.d scripts
28 > --------------------------
29 >
30 > This one is even heavier but more clean. This way, we only keep
31 > a minimal subset of DM-related code in common, and let every DM install
32 > its own init.d script. This way, we keep them clean and flexible.
33 >
34 > On the other hand, that would introduce a lot of repeating code,
35 > and user would need to explicitly add appropriate DM to the runlevel.
36
37 Meh. The problems you pointed out are enough to hammer the nails into
38 this one's coffin.
39
40 > 3) fixing DMs and a lot of guessing
41 > -----------------------------------
42 >
43 > Many DMs resemble a common concept of executable name and pidfile. If
44 > we limited the amount of DISPLAYMANAGER possibilities, we could use
45 > an approach like:
46 >
47 > EXE=$(which ${MY_XDM})
48 > PIDFILE=/var/run/${MY_XDM}.pid
49 >
50 > But that won't work with all current DMs, so we'll probably end up with
51 > a thing similar to what we do now...
52
53 The guessing games will have to be done (or pre-empted) somewhere. It
54 makes sense to me to do it in a way that pushes work onto the DM
55 maintainers (who are experts in that DM).
58 Thanks,
59 Donnie
60
61 Donnie Berkholz