From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] System problems - some progress
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 20:39:52
1 On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 15:15 -0500, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com> wrote:
3 > > The root of this problem is that on the old kernel, there are both
4 > > a /dev/hda1 and a /dev/sda1. The former is a partition on an old PATA
5 > > drive, while the latter is a proper component of md0, but when
6 > > everything becomes /dev/sdNx, there's an obvious conflict and the RAID
7 > > subsystem is getting confused and is obviously not seeing it's sda1.
8 >
9 > Possible alternative is to disable raid autodetection and define the
10 > arrays by UUID in /etc/mdadm.conf so hopefully the device names become
11 > irrelevant at that point.
12
13 This is a good idea. I can turn off RAID autodetection in the kernel
14 config and spec RAID1 instead, since the root fs isn't on a RAID array.
15
16 I've found a number of references to putting UUIDs in ARRAY lines
17 in /etc/mdadm.conf to define the UUID of an array, but none yet to using
18 UUID specs in DEVICE lines, all of which I've found so far in the online
19 literature use /dev/xxxx specs. Before I take this step I'm going to
20 find a more kernel-specific list and ask if this would be appropriate.
21 I've tripped on RAID array errors before at the expense of days of work
22 to reconstitute systems and their data. I want to make sure this is
23 kosher before I go there.
24
25 Thanks!
28 Lindsay Haisley | "In an open world, | PGP public key
29 FMP Computer Services | who needs Windows | available at
30 512-259-1190 | or Gates" | http://pubkeys.fmp.com
31 http://www.fmp.com | |