From: Dave Shanker <dshanker@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] GNOME 2.14 and gstreamer
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 16:48:39
1 So I found an interesting issue today with GNOME 2.14 and gstreamer;
2 Specifically I upgraded to GNOME 2.14 (which compiled against
3 gstreamer-0.10) and everything went relatively smoothly. A week later,
4 I decided to create a new user and found that banshee or rhytmbox
5 wouldn't play any music due to missing gconf keys. I check multimedia
6 properties in GNOME and manual select esdsink since the already
7 selected auto detect wasn't working and still had the same issue, no
8 sound with the same error.
9
10 Turns out, multimedia properties were changing the gconf entries for
11 gstreamer 0.10.x, but banshee/rhythmbox was looking under 0.8.x. Those
12 apps worked under my previous user because they already had been set,
13 but since I created a new user, they were set to their defaults of
14 osssink which doesn't work on my machine.
15
16 So how can we handle this issue? Maybe noting something in an upgrade
17 document or stabilize versions of apps which have gstreamer-0.10
18 support before GNOME 2.14 goes stable?
21 Regards,
24 gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list