From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse-gentoo@×××.com>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] cups vs. VMware
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2006 02:46:42
1 I'm trying to configure an ancient HP Deskjet 1120C for my Gentoo desktop.
2 It's connected to the only parallel port on the system, and works with both
3 cups and in my Windows XP installation on VMware.
4
5 The problem, however, is that cups wants to see the printer as /dev/lp0,
6 which requires that I have the lp module installed. VMware won't deal with
7 /dev/lp0, and insists on using /dev/parport0 and requires that the ppdev
8 module be installed. If the lp module is installed, VMware complains about
9 the printer port being in use by another device and turns off printing.
10
11 Is there any way to get printing to work with both VMware and cups
12 simultaneously?
13
14 Cups is a royal PITA!!!
18 Lindsay Haisley | "Fighting against human | PGP public key
19 FMP Computer Services | creativity is like | available at
20 512-259-1190 | trying to eradicate | <http://pubkeys.fmp.com>
21 http://www.fmp.com | dandelions" |
22 | (Pamela Jones) |
23 --