From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: Luis Rodriguez <luis@××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nvidia Geforce 4 ti 4400
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 05:48:45
Luis Rodriguez wrote:
> Hello Jonathan, > > I changed nvidia to nv and the desktop looks better now.... I wonder whats > wrong!! > > Luis >
The driver "nv" is the non-3d-accelerated nvidia display driver that comes with Xfree/Xorg. The driver "nvidia" is what you use with the proprietary, binary-only drivers from NVIDIA. If "nvidia" isn't working, it sounds like you haven't properly installed your drivers. First, "emerge nvidia-glx" and then "emerge nvidia-kernel". Next, "modprobe nvidia" should load the kernel module. Finally, "opengl-update nvidia" should adjust lib paths such that the binary GL libs from NVIDIA are being used by X. If you have done all of this and X still isn't working, something else is wrong it would seem. Also, you might try to generate a config file by running "X -configure". This typically does a pretty good job of autodetecting and creating a xorg.conf. Steve -- gentoo-desktop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-desktop] Nvidia Geforce 4 ti 4400 Per-Erik Westerberg <per-erik.westerberg@××××××××.net>