From: maillists <lists@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-desktop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-desktop] Install Problem
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 18:19:52
1 Hi,
2
3 I am trying to install the latest liveCD 2005.1 on a Dell Optiplex GX100
4 and I am having a CDROM problem. It seems that the computer uses a
5 smaller than standard CD drive to fit in the case, but it came with no
6 CD drive so I hooked up a temporary standard CDROM drive with the cover
7 off just for the install.
8
9 When the CD boots, the first symptom of sickness is that it can't find
10 the gentoo "spash image". then it goes through the first part OK but
11 then hangs forever as soon as it gets to the following:
12
13 ...
14 ...
15 ::Scanning for dm-mod...dm-mod loaded.
16 >> Activating udev
17 >> Making tmpfs for /newroot
18 >> Attempting to mount CD:- /dev/cdroms/cdrom0
21 I have 3 of these machines and all 3 have the same problem. I tried to
22 install another distro "Vector Linux" and it seems there are similar
23 issues with that too.
24
25 I don't think it is a hardware problem because I am using 3 different
26 machines and CD drives.
27
28 What can I do to fix this?
29